Monday, May 12, 2008

Public, Private or Home --- AHH!!!



I don't know what to do.  My son is in need of some extra help at school.  Or just accepting school?  He has trouble with school being not what he needs right now.  I don't mean he doesn't need to go to school.  I just mean that the public school experience he is having right now doesn't cut it for him.  He's in trouble a lot, he doesn't enjoy going, he's easily frustrated at home (and at school) and can't stand being told what to do.

I dislike how the school 'punishes' him in the guise of discipline and logical consequence but I don't know what to do about it, save take him out.

I've researched a couple different schools, but the one I want him in is full and he would be 14 on the waiting list.  I'll complete the application process anyway, but ... 



My daughter wants to be home schooled.  I love this option, especially when I remember school shootings and teachers that are burnt-out on their once-loved profession.  I am in awe of parents that do it and I truly want to be those moms.  But, realistically I don't think I have the right temperment for it.  I think we'd kill each other.

I've been a stay at home mom for seven years and I REALLY feel done with it.  The reason I know that, is because this is the first time since I've become a mom that both my children are in school full time and I'm SO enjoying it.  I get to have some separation from them and I'm still there to pick them up from school and take them to gymnastics, TaeKwonDo or choir practice. I can still connect with them in the afternoon and I truly feel blessed when I consider that I don't have to work and am able to stay home with them, when so many other parents want to and can't.

I also know that home schooling wouldn't maybe be the best avenue for us because, ever since Robert (then Joey, a name I still secretly call him) was two months old, I've had someone to watch him and Aubrey while I:  took a class, did homework, got a pedicure, or simply went grocery shopping without the children.  I've ALWAYS had the kids go to some kind of childcare once or twice a week just so I could get a breather.

I don't think I could do that if I homeschooled.

But I love the idea.

No comments: